Save the Elephants Research Fund
A Call for Funding Applications
STE has established a Research Fund to catalyze elephant research by Kenyans through a prestigious MSc scholarship fund, or, through partial funding for elephant related research projects at any graduate studies level.
The Fund seeks to support will support 1-5 candidates or projects each year. A call is hereby made for potential applicants.
For MSc candidates applying to be fully-funded by the STE Research Fund, STE shall help guide the student in developing their research topic and methodology. Still, students should have a clear broad field of interest.
Candidates already working with other NGOs, universities, or government institutions wishing to be funded for their research shall present a full research proposal and budget for review by STE.
Eligibility criteria for a full MSc scholarship:
- Kenyan Nationals with a relevant undergraduate degree and proven experience or interest in topics relevant to the broad theme of elephant conservation.
- MSc admission to a reputable local university secured independently by the student (Students enrolled in MSc programs deemed not appropriate to build a career in natural resource management will not be supported).
- A written commitment to undertake the MSc program full time till completion (no deferring) unless unforeseen circumstances arise.
- It is anticipated that an STE scientist shall be nominated onto the student’s supervision committee, either as an advisor or a co-supervisor.
- Students should liaise closely with the STE advisor and the university supervision committee to develop a suitable research project.
The full MSc scholarship covers the following:
- Accommodation costs for fieldwork activities & university accommodation if required.
- Computer and any technical software needed for the research topic
- A monthly stipend to cover food, public transport, and the internet unless otherwise covered by full board accommodation.
- Tuition fees for a maximum of two years, unless the extension is beyond the student’s control but not due to failure. In case a student fails any units the first year, he/she shall be discontinued from the sponsorship and all other benefits withdrawn. Students who do not attain a pass mark of 70% in the first-year course work shall not access further funding to proceed to the second year.
- Books and stationery
- A research budget sufficient to carry out an agreed field project
- Basic medical insurance package coverage for inpatient costs by a provider chosen by STE.
- Every student shall sign the STE indemnity form valid till his/her studentship ends.
To apply for the full MSc scholarship, please submit the following:
- application letter,
- detailed CV with contact details of three referees,
- scans of first-degree certificate and transcripts all as one PDF with your name as the file name, and, a scan of the MSc program admission letter to researchadmin@