Call for Applications for a Full Master of Science (MSc) Scholarship
Save the Elephants’ (STE) mission is to secure a future for elephants and sustain the beauty and ecological integrity of their places; promote man’s delight in their intelligence and the diversity of their world; and develop a tolerant relationship between the two species.
In support of the career growth of young scholars in the biodiversity and environment field, STE is pleased to partner with Karatina University (KarU) to offer full scholarships towards a Master of Science degree tenable at KarU for courses commencing in the year 2023.
Eligibility criteria and conditions:
- A Kenyan national with a first degree in natural sciences (Biology/Zoology/Conservation Biology/Natural Resource Management/Environmental Science/Wildlife Management) from a recognized university.
- A pass mark of first or second-class upper division in the first degree.
- Two years of experience in a busy conservation organization or department (Voluntary internship counts).
- Enrollment into a relevant full-time MSc program at KarU (Part-time students are NOT eligible).
- Must be under 35 years old as of 1st September 2023 (Subject to meeting all other qualifications listed above, younger candidates are strongly preferred).
- A research concept note (Max 1 page) is desirable but NOT mandatory.
- A scientist from Save the Elephants shall be nominated to the successful candidate’s supervision committee.
- Successful candidates will work closely with the STE advisor and KarU supervisor to develop a suitable research project.
The full MSc scholarship covers the following:
- Tuition fees and research costs.
- A standard computer and any specialized software needed.
- A monthly living stipend.
- Basic medical insurance cover from a provider chosen by STE.
To apply for the full MSc scholarship, please submit the following:
- Application letter addressed to “The Research Fund Administrator, Save the Elephants”.
- Detailed CV with contact details of three referees, one of which must be academic.
- Scans of first-degree certificate and transcripts.
- An admission letter (or evidence of submission of an application) for a relevant MSc program at Karatina University.
Please do not include any other document unless it’s a research concept.
All documents should be merged in the above order as ONE PDF with the candidate’s name as the “file name” and emailed to [email protected] on or before 30th July 2023.
All applications shall be acknowledged, but only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Kindly consider your application unsuccessful if you do not hear from us by 30th August 2023.
The call is for full scholarships ONLY, i.e., Candidates who have not commenced their respective MSc program. MSc candidates already enrolled at KarU may contact STE via the above address for more information on how to apply for ‘research-only’ funding.