Elephant Calf Electrocuted in Erode District (India)


Press Trust of India

Date Published

A four-year-old elephant calf was electrocuted after it came into
cotact with an electrified fence in a farm in Burugur forest area
here, police said today.

The incident came to light after the villagers noticed the male
elephant lying dead near a farm in Burgur forest area in Erode
district, on Monday morning, and informed the forest officials, they

The forest officials along with a veterinary doctor rushed to the spot
and examined the calf.

The elephant had died due to electrocution, they said while adding
that the fence, which was connected to high voltage power, was erected
by Chinniyan (50), a farmer of Kadayareddimalai, to scare away wild

The officials arrested the farmer and are investigating.

The dead calf was buried in the nearby area, the officials added.