Elephant dies of electrocution in Kodagu (Kodagu District, India)


Web India 123

Date Published

Close on the heels of six pachyderms losing their lives to electrocution in Kodagu, one more elephant died due to the same reason, taking the toll of elephants in July alone to seven. 

A 12-year-old female elephant was electrocuted at Abyathamangala. 
A dry tree was found fallen on electricity wires, which was supposed to be the reason of the animal’s death. 
As the electricity officials alerted the Forest department staff, District Forest Officer Suryasen visited the spot. 
Claiming that coffee planters were not cooperating with the Forest department, Mr Suryasen said it was the responsibility of the planters to clear dry and fallen trees from their estates