Elephant electrocuted in Raigarh district (India)


Times of India

Date Published


A female elephant was electrocuted in forests of Dharamjaigarh in Raigarh district after coming in contact with 11 KV high voltage live wire due to its low height on Monday evening. While forest department officials claim that they had alerted electricity department to makeshift the low-lying wire, there was no action taken which later became the reason of elephant’s death.

The incident took place at Chuhkimar forest at Kharsia in Chaal forest range where a body of female elephant was found. According to information, the elephant came in contact with high voltage wire leading to its death on the spot due to electrocution.

The wire was hardly three metres above the ground which anyway posed danger for both animals and human but officials said that despite informing the electrical department, no attempts were made to shift the wire.

Villagers could inform forest department about death of elephant only after a day when the body started staling. It was buried after autopsy. In the past, such incidents have taken place when locals have purposely laid such live wires to bother elephants and many tusker have died due to electrocution.