Forest Officials Fume After Male Tusker Electrocuted (Raipur, India)


The Pioneer

Date Published
A male wild elephant was electrocuted when the animal had attempted to drink water from a small pond in the Devegarh range of Korea-Baikunthpur forest division, officials said here on Saturday.

“We have sent a notice to the electricity department and also to the person, who had created the ‘medh’ in elephant affected region without taking permission from the forest department,’’ Divisional Forest Officer, Korea-Baikunthpur Raghvendra Tiwari said.

According to Tiwari, the incident happened when the pachyderm had reached the spot to drink water on the intervening night of Friday and Saturday.

“A high electric supply line of 32 KV runs above the boundary of the pond where its height is barely 6-7 feet from the ground. It seems that the shoulder of the elephant would have come in contact with the live wire,’’ the DFO said.

The body of male tusker was spotted by locals on Saturday who had then informed the local forest officials.

The carcass of the elephant after post-mortem has been buried, he informed.

Notably, this is the second electrocution of wild elephant in the district. In a similar incident, an elephant was electrocuted in Salka village of Korea division in year 2012.