Game ranger arrested for possession of ivory (Namibia)


Ellanie Smit, Namibian Sun

Date Published

See link for photo.

An assistant game ranger at the Susuwe Game Reserve Post in the Zambezi Region has been arrested for being in possession of two elephant tusks.

Kebby Livuo (40) was arrested after a tip-off from the public that he had hidden elephant tusks in the bush at Kayuo village.

According to the police, the informant went to the scene to verify that it was indeed ivory hidden there and upon confirming that, the police were called.

When the police arrived at the scene the tusks had been removed. The suspect was found at Bwabwata Game Reserve Post and questioned. He admitted that he had hidden and then removed the two elephant tusks. He also took the police to where he had stashed the ivory at Singalamwe village.

The deputy commissioner from the Zambezi Region, Evans Simasiku, confirmed that the suspect had appeared in the Katima Mulilo Magistrate’s Court yesterday and was refused bail.

The case was postponed until 4 August for further investigations and for the recovery of the ivory.

Currently, the charges include possession of protected wildlife resources and contravention of the Wildlife Act.

A team has been dispatched to the scene to gather more information and poaching charges may be added. The police are also searching for more elephant tusks.

Meanwhile, a three-year-old girl was raped by her 14-year-old cousin in the Mondesa residential area in the Erongo Region on Mondayafternoon. The boy allegedly lured the girl with sweets to his aunt’s shack and had sexual intercourse with her. The girl’s mother was at home next door at the time of the incident.

In a separate incident on Saturday at Katjinakatji village in the Mururani area, a nine-year-old boy was raped.

It is alleged that the suspect picked up the victim and took him to the bush, where he undressed him and raped him. The boy sustained injuries. According to the police the suspect is known and investigations continue.

Also on Monday afternoon, at Fransfontein in the Kunene Region, a two-year-old boy was assaulted by a 25-year-old man. The suspect took the boy from his mother and pretended to play with him. Later, however, he punched him in the face, causing serious injury. The suspect was arrested.