Jumbo electrocuted (Tamil Nadu, India)


P.V. Srividya, The Hindu

Date Published

See link for photo of elephant.

A 30-year-old female elephant was electrocuted by a low-level electric line near Tholuvapetta forest range in Denkanikottai.
The elephant was part of a three-member herd that strayed into the land of farmer Veerabhadrappa on Thursday night.

The elephant is believed to have reached out to the jackfruit tree in the farm and accidentally hit the low transiting electric wire with its trunk. While the elephant collapsed from electrocution, the two other elephants left the spot.

On hearing the cries of the elephant, the locals alerted the Forest Department. The elephant was tended to by the forest veterinarian and a team for over 8 hours, but could not be revived. The elephant died on Friday.