Tusker electrocuted (Bhubaneswar, India)


Ryan Ramanath, Times of India

Date Published


A 25-year old tusker was found electrocuted in a mango orchad in Hindol range in Dhenkanal forest division on Monday. The pachyderm broke a branch of the mango tree, which fell on the electric wire. The elephant was caught unawares and died instantly, sources in wildlife wing said. “The electric line was not sagging and it was 15 feet above the ground. The load of the branch brought it down and the elephant came in contact with it,” said principal chief conservator of forests (wildlife) Siddhant Das.