Two elephants were electrocuted when they struck a high tension wire in West Bengal’s Darjeeling district on Saturday, forest officials said.
The two elephants broke an electric post and struck the high tension wire
The incident occurred when about 30 elephants entered the Kiranchandra tea garden main line under Siliguri subdivision, a forest officer posted at the Bagdogra Forest Range said.
The two elephants broke an electric post and struck the high tension wire, triggering a power breakdown in the area.
Reacting to the incident, an expert said that the elephant have a tendency coupled with curiosity to pull down any alien object in their reach and this is exactly what happened in the present case that resulted in the tragic death of the pachyderms.