Wild elephant electrocuted in Sharper (Bangladesh)


Prothom Alo

Date Published

A wild elephant was electrocuted at Pangarh village in Jhenaigati upazila on Saturday night as it came in touch with a live electric wire set by locals to prevent wild elephant herd from damaging their crops.

Locals set the electric wire around their croplands to prevent wild elephants from destroying their crops.

A herd of elephants invaded the village around 9:30 pm, said upazila nirbahi officer of Jhenaigati Mohammad Selim Reza quoting locals.

At one stage, one of the elephants came in touch with the live electric wire and died on the spot, he said.